[TR] Rusty Panel treatment

To: v6spitfireguy@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Rusty Panel treatment
From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:54:07 -0700 (PDT)
     I have a friend and we made a derusting tank off of info we found on the
net. It took a plastic tank full of baking soda solution. The tank was lined
with steel mesh (an old bird cage ISTR). The part in question hangs in the tank
by a steel wire, not touching the steel mesh. Then we hooked up a battery
charger with one lead to the steel wire supporting the part and the other on
the steel mesh. The part would bubble slowly and after a few hours the part
comes out shiney clean and bright. It doesn't eat the metal away at all, unless
you hook the leads up backwards. We experimented on old rusty horse shoes
first. You can probably still find the info with a Google search.
     Here is a link:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
     or
     http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm