Re: [TR] Wheel truing for steel wheels.

To: "tom white" <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Wheel truing for steel wheels.
From: "Alex" <ambritts@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:09:26 -0500
Hi Tom,
Before starting on the wheel, try checking the run out on the hub. I had the
exact same problem as you are describing both on my TR3 and TR6. The problem
turned out to be the hub in both cases. Pull the wheel and run a straight
edge along side the studs. If you get a rocking action you have a problem
with the hubs. Then you can place a run out gauge to measure the actual run
out. My 6 was out almost .070" on one wheel. After tightening down the lug
nuts it distorted the wheel. A machine shop can true the face of the hub on
a lathe. After making the correction I have NO shimmy or scuttle shake at
all on either car.
Alex Manzo
59 TR3A
72 TR6