RE: [TR] Lower wishbone and steering box

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] Lower wishbone and steering box
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:53:07 -0700
David,
I was the original poster (with the problem) and I received several
follow-up that said:

"...I loosened the two long bolts that attach
the steering box to the bracket welded to the frame. With the bolts
removed and using an 18" screwdriver to apply light pressure to the
bottom of the steering box I was able to raise it about 3/8", just
enough to remove the lower wishbone arm."

There was no need, in my case, to loosen the steering column bracket.

Regarding the lubrication of the inner bushes, I had the same question.
I did find a bit of information in the "Practical Hints for the
Maintenance of the Triumph TR3", Instruction Book part no. 501528, page
21, heading "General Upkeep - Front Suspension and Steering":

"...lubricate the inner nylon wish-bone bushes with oil occasionally. A
pronounced squeak develops when these bushes become dry..."

When I reassembled mine I lubricated them with a moly grease. When the
squeak develops I'll oil.

Ray

Ray McCaleb
ray@raysmg.com