[TR] cracked TR6 diff mount - how bad does it have to be to clunk?

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] cracked TR6 diff mount - how bad does it have to be to clunk?
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:03:02 -0600
I've been chasing a mysterious clunk in the rear suspension of my TR6 for
several years - I've replaced virtually everything in my rear IRS in the
process.  The clunk came as the rear of the car rose and fell with changes in
the road - it was never really obvious under acceleration or deceleration, and
it disappeared when I put the car in neutral at speed.  At times, the clunk
was bad enough that you could feel it while in the passenger seat.

I finally removed the diff yesterday and yes, there is a barely discernable
crack just forward of the stud on the forward diff mount on the passenger
side.  I put a pair of vice grips on the stud and heaved it back and forth to
get the crack to open.  I could barely, barely see the edge of the crack
change while I did this.

I do intend to weld up the crack and will install the diff mount reinforcing
brackets from TRF at the same time, but my question is this: how bad does this
crack have to be to produce a clunk in the rear suspension?  Is a barely
discernable crack enough to cause the clunk - or should I continue to look
elsewhere.

I'm also going to get a shop to check out my diff while it's out of the car,
but in the meantime, I sure would appreciate the wisdom of the list when it
comes to cracked diff mounts.

Wishing everyone on this great list all the best in 2007!

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg, Canada

PS: Does anyone have useful advice when it comes to welding in the four diff
mount side reinforcing brackets from TRF?  This will be done on a complete car
on jack stands with only the diff removed.  Getting at and welding in the
outboard brackets looks like a real challenge.

===     http://www.vtr.org