[TR] Differential Identification TR4

To: "Triumph Digest List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Differential Identification TR4
From: "Dave Rogers" <roggez@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:27:11 +1100
    Does anyone know of a simple way to identify what differential (3.7 or
4.1) is fitted to a TR4? I have checked all my sources and cannot find any
way of differentiating (no pun) between the types using the serial number on
the top rear face of the diff.
    Piggott's books suggest that about 10% of all 4s were fitted with the
4.1 as an option but more often than not only when the overdrive was also
ordered as an option. I have been down that road with no luck as the Birth
Certificate from BMHT does not include any clues, other than OD fitted.
    Apart from doing the rotation comparison test in Williams 'Restoring the
TR4' book or pulling the rear cover off and counting the teeth on the crown
wheel, is there any other simple way?

Dave Rogers
Canberra, Australia

62 CT12068-o