RE: [TR] Re: Gear Ratios (General Automotive Question)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Gear Ratios (General Automotive Question)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:44:46 -0700
> Speaking of terminology w.r.t. the diff, when people speak of a
> "higher diff", is the convention that this means the gearing is
> higher or that the numerical ratio is higher resulting in lower
> gearing?

I'm way behind on my reading, but I didn't see a reply to this ... Confusingly
enough, both conventions are used !  But most commonly (IMO), "higher" with no
qualification means numerically lower.  Personally, I use the term "taller"
rather than "higher" which possibly is clearer (most people seem to understand
the concept of "tall gears" and "short gears") but most likely just muddies the
water further.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org