Re: [TR] Need to know what is connected to the voltage

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Need to know what is connected to the voltage
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:26:13 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/2006 9:56:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimhearn1@comcast.net writes:

I had  the
dash apart and there was a connection with three black wires that  I
wasn't sure where it had been connected.  I got a little careless  not
knowing where this connection with the three black wires goes.   Can
anyone help me out and tell me what is attached to the stabilizer  other
than the plug in leads.  The plug in leads I swapped over from  one to
the other so I couldn't have gotten these mixed up.  I'm  wondering if
the three black wires (one connector) attach (grounded) to the  body of
the stabilizer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim

The voltage stabilizer is grounded is grounded through the speedometer to
which it is attached - nothing else is attached to the voltage stabilizer other

than your plug in leads - the connector with the 3 black wires attached is
probably a ring connector and it goes over one of the mounting posts on your
speedometer before you spin that knurled nut down to hold it on. There
probably should also be another black wire running from one speedometer
mounting
post to one tachometer mounting post so all your lights in the tach are
grounded
thru the speedo to the same group of black wires. These black wires connect
thru the wiring harness to a wire that goes to ground on a spade terminal
attached to your body in front of the firewall on that horizontal surface  just
under where your heater hoses go thru the fire wall - this is also  where your
temp and fuel gauges and all your instrument lights go to ground. I  recently
learned all this the hard way when that connection to the body was  loose and
none of my instrument lights worked and the fuel and temp gauges read  high
because the voltage stabilizer wasn't grounded.  Too bad all  the wiring
diagrams just show you that earth symbol instead of showing the  actual path to
ground.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

===     http://www.vtr.org