Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:23:16 -0400
On 15 Oct 2006 at 17:40, fred thomas wrote:

> I've never in my life (that's a long time) have I ever met any man that
> could remove a oil pan drain plug with his hands,  how do the fingers get
> burnt.  :) :) "FT"

Well, you have several choices.  You can keep cranking and cranking
and cranking and cranking the drain plug with your socket or wrench.
When that last thread finally comes free the plug will drop into your
drain pan full of hot oil.  You burn your fingers when you reach in
to retrieve the plug.  Also oil will spill all over the head of your
ratchet or wrench.  With a bit of luck you'll drop your wrench or
ratchet into the oil too and you can burn your fingers when you reach
in to retrieve it.  You also have the option of yanking your hand
away quickly and smashing it against the frame or some other hard
object.  The bottom of a car is full of hard objects waiting for your
hand to smash against, though admittely that isn't the same as
burning your fingers.  It isn't clear whether the car actually
prefers the burn or the smash.

Or you can simply use your fingers on the last few threads of the
drain plug.

Fingers are quite easy to burn if you try hard enough.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org