RE: [TR] camshafts

To: "'Jim and Andreas Vassiliadis'" <diggle@clear.net.nz>,
Subject: RE: [TR] camshafts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:53:25 -0700
> Is there any way of telling if the camshaft in a TR is
> standard or slightly hot.

Sure, but it's kind of tedious.  Basically stick a degree wheel on the
crank, and a dial indicator on one of the pushrods, and map out the cam
profile.  Then compare with the one in the book.

> I'm probably reading the vacuum gauge incorrectly but it
> seems to indicate a
> non standard cam if the following website is correct:
> http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

IMO that web site makes reading a vacuum gauge sound far simpler, and more
reliable, than it really is.  Low vacuum can be caused by many things (see
for example the indication for late valve timing and late ignition timing).
And the design of the TR intake manifold more or less ensures that you will
see some needle wiggle as the different intake valves open either next to,
or far away from where you have your gauge attached.

> Also what battery should I get a 9 plate or 11 plate one.

Battery technology has advanced enough that number of plates is no longer a
significant factor, IMO.  For long life, get the biggest battery
(electrically) that will fit in the compartment and then keep it charged.
But lowest overall cost is usually buying what's on sale at Wally Mart.
I've never had a $70 battery last twice as long as a $35 one.  And if you
kill it, you've only lost half as much.

> My batteries only really last about 12-18 months due to not
> using the car too
> often in the past. I had the battery on a trickle charge for
> 36hours and it
> only really cranked the engine over for a dozen or so times
> so I figured that
> it was time for a new battery.

True trickle chargers are very hard on modern "maintenance-free" batteries
and should not be used.  What happens is that, once the battery is fully
charged, the trickle of current gradually boils away the electrolyte (acid).
With older "maintenance required" batteries, that was no big deal as you
could replace the missing water.  But modern batteries are sealed so you
cannot.

A battery "tender" with float mode is a much better choice.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org