Re: [TR] Lucas ignition problem?

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Lucas ignition problem?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:51:09 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/2006 10:00:43 AM Central Standard Time,
zoboherald@aol.com writes:
> I changed the points (no easy feat roadside on the MGA's distributor)
> and got great spark there...but nowhere else. I then substituted a
> known good coil...and still got no spark at the plugs.
>
> Distributor cap, wires and rotor all seem good, with no telltale signs
> of damage, cracking or carbon tracking.
>
> At this point, I'm thinking condensor. Does that make sense? It was one
> thing that I just didn't even consider trying to change roadside, given
> the location and orientation of the MGA distributor, lack of good tools
> on hand, and darkness.

Did you check for spark from the HT lead from the coil?  Or better yet, did
you try swapping in a new rotor?  Rotors have been known to fail and have no
visible signs of trouble.  Happened to me.  Twice.  I carry multiple spare
rotors just in case.  They are cheap, small, and easy to change.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org