[TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List)
Subject: [TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:03:04 +0000
That are the thoughts on tube shock conversions for a TR4A?  As far as I can
tell there are 3 types.

1)  The conversion which bolts the upper end of the shock to the inner fender.

2) An adapter bracket which bolts to the original lever shock mounting and
holds the top of the new shock.

3) A coil-over type.  Apparently TRF has a few of these on hand but says they
are "expensive".

So, what is the best way.  I bet option #3 is more expensive that I would like.

I prefer #2 because it is completely reversible.  But, I have heard that the
tube shock itself becomes the stop at full downward travel of the trailing arm.
 The lever shock has a stop on the lever arm itself.  I saw something on the
internet saying that this off-center torque will make the frame fail.  DOes
this actually happen in real usage?  I would think that maximum downward travel
would be relatively rare.

The, the torque from the off-center upward force is probably much the same for
both the original lever arm and #2, but I have not analysed the geomotry of #2
since I have not seen one personally.

Any insights?

P.S.  I think I might go with the Moss blue-yellow 420lb (stock ride height)
springs front and back, with spax (hopefully externally adjustable) shocks up
front.  I also hope to have some sort of adjustable shock in the rear too.
Also thinking about 7/8" front sway bar.  Debating abot the rear right now.

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org