RE: [TR] setting the points ASAP PLEASE

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] setting the points ASAP PLEASE
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:45:59 -0800
> I have 2 distributors, one from a 3A and the other from a TR4.  I
> also bought
> several new Lucas points (DTB150 TK50 'fits most British cars')
> from TRF and
> they match the old set I replaced.
> I've properly placed them but when set to a .015 gap they DO NOT
> ever touch!

It's very easy to get the gap too wide when you aren't accustomed to using a
feeler gauge.  The gauge must be perfectly parallel to the face of the
points, or you will get the gap too wide.  It takes a delicate touch to find
the right angle, my technique is to move the gauge around a little bit (in 2
dimensions) feeling for the "center" where it becomes loose.  Then snug up
the points a bit and look for the center again.   When it's just right, you
can feel the grip on the feeler lessen, but there is still a very slight
drag as you pull it out.  If you can find a place where there is no drag at
all, they are still too wide.

If all else fails, use a dwell meter to set the point gap.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org