Calipers (was gearbox mount)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Calipers (was gearbox mount)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:03:15 -0800
> I have done more than a few
> calipers in my time and discovered that they are actually, not
> complicated.
> None have failed after I rebuilt them. Of course one must take great care
> with brakes, couldn't agree with you more.
> On my 3a brakes, it turns out that I would have had certain brake failure
> if I had NOT split the calipers, as the O-rings had completely
> deteriorated, so I no longer agree with the policy that one must
> never take
> them apart. And, having put them back together all by myself, I
> am relieved
> that I no longer risk certain brake failure; in fact, seeing as they are
> brakes and I therefore treated them with due respect, I was extra
> careful...

So tell us, Jim, what pressure have you tested your calipers to ?  And what
temperature ?

Let's see, if we assume the driver can put 300 pounds on the brake pedal
(when his/her life depends on it), times about 7:1 mechanical advantage,
divided by about .4 sq in for the MC piston, that's about 5000 psi hydraulic
pressure ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org