RE: Blasting Media

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blasting Media
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:48:18 -0800
> What's the preferred media for blasting tranmission gears with
> light rust and
> discoloration?

Frankly, Ed, if there is any rust or discoloration visible on the gear
teeth, then I wouldn't use them at all.  Used gears are not that rare, and
if you can see the rust, it has done enough damage to be of concern on the
working surface of a gear tooth.  The pressure and friction at that point
are quite high, and the tiniest flaw will wear rapidly.

If there is loose rust elsewhere on the gear (but the teeth are perfect),
then I would be inclined to use a more controlled method of removing it,
like crocus cloth or a wire brush.  Again you don't want the blasting media
to do any damage at all to the gear teeth.

But if it's just discoloration or light rust, I'd just go over it once with
maybe a Scotchbrite and some penetrating oil, then leave it alone.  These
are not appearance items !  My only concern would be that no flakes could
get loose to do damage somewhere else.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org