Re: Valve Adjustment

To: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>, "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:44:37 -0600
> Can't you pretty much do this with the "rule of 9" method as well
> (position
> the engine just 4 times).  Without thinking about it too hard (and making
> my head hurt), don't you end up with two valves open at roughly the same
> time? For example, when No. 1 is fully open, No. 3 is very nearly fully
> open as well.  Seems that based on the "rule of 9" that you could adjust
> both the No. 8 and the No. 6 at that point.  At least that's the way I do
> it.  Of course I usually end up repositioning the engine just a little to
> make sure the No. 3 *is* fully open prior to setting the No. 6.

That's the way I do it, too.  You are still repositioning the crank eight
times but with less incremental movement of the crank than if you followed
the rule of nine sequentially.  I've also used the "point of rock" method,
but I find it easier to identify a valve that is fully open rather than two
valves that are equally open.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
Naperville, IL