Re: caliper brake piston rust prevention

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: caliper brake piston rust prevention
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:28:27 EST
Hi Paul,
    Frankly, even though it's tough stuff, I'm not sure how POR15 will react
over time to brake fluid. So, no, I wouldn't put any sort of paint inside a
hydraulic circuit. There is simply too much danger of a piece flaking off and
floating around in the system, probably ending up somewhere you definitely
don't
want it and causing problems. There's also a chance of some sort of unknown
and unwanted chemical interaction between paint and brake fluid contaminating
the fluid.
    Simply clean out the rust and make sure there are no flakes of that
floating around in there, either. If need be, use rust remover and follow up to
clean any and all of that chemical out with some sort of brake cleaner.
    Proper maintenance of the system should prevent any rust or corrosion. By
itself, used right, DOT3/4 will lubricate and protect against rust. The only
reason for rust inside the well of a caliper is that water  got absorbed into
the fluid, which wasn't changed often and probably sat unused for a long time.
Water in the fluid might have been condensation, or may have intruded around
failed seals at the pistons. In regular use, with good seals and with regular
changes, brake fluid by itself will prevent rust like that. I'd say it's a
good idea to change fluid every two or three years, at most, even if the car is
rarely used (or maybe especially if it's rarely used).
    Living in Calif., I can't tell you about POR15 performance at lower
temps. Every time I've used the stuff has been in moderate temps. Not that we
don't
get below 50F here, I just have never needed to apply POR15 at a time when it
was cold. I do know it sets up better with some humidity. Moisture actually
makes it tougher.
Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
AMfoto1@aol.com
http://www.triumphowners.com/640
Hey! Would it be a smart thing to apply POR-15 to only a small part of the
caliper brake PISTON'S (on only the inside of the cup-like bottom) as this
spot is so prone to rust but yet doesn't touch anything?
Is a 24-hour above 50 degrees for POR-15's drying ALWAYS imperative?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org