Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>, Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 07:53:58 -0500
I use a 5/16" drill in a drill press and a 5/16" bolt with a Nylok
nut. I've not had a failure in any of the street or race cars. The
hole must be positioned so the nut misses the two bolts holding the
cover plate for the layshaft. Remember, for this bolt to fail, it has
to shear the bolt off -- pretty unlikely, especially if you use a
grade 5 or 8 bolt. That darned stock pin has two problems - the dowel
shaped portion ends at a cut thread, which is a natural stress riser,
right at the point where the shaft and fork intersect. If I were
given the assignment to design it so it would break by fatigue
failure, this is the way I'd design it. Also, it is made of dead soft
steel. Good grief.