RE: Triumphant day

To: "Andrew Frink" <drewfrink@mac.com>
Subject: RE: Triumphant day
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:54:48 -0700
> It looks like the PO hooked in the ammeter, but didn't reverse the
> wires when she switched over to negative ground. If I switch the
> lights on, running or not, the meter jumps into the + zone (should
> jump to "-" right?).

Yes, it should jump to "-", aka discharge.

Also note that some people connect the alternator into the battery side of
the ammeter, meaning the ammeter will not show the charging current.  So
even if the ammeter doesn't show charge (after you switch the wires on the
back), the alternator may still be working fine.

Switching the wires on the ammeter is easy, but you should definitely remove
the ground lead from the battery first.  Then reach behind the dash, and
remove the knurled nut and lockwasher in the center of the rear of the
ammeter.  That will free the bracket that holds it into the dash.  Pull the
bracket off the post, then pull the ammeter out.  That will give you easy
access to the wires, so you can switch them.

The connections to the coil should be reversed too.  If you have an original
coil, the SW terminal should now go to the distributor, and the CB terminal
to the wiring harness (white wire).  Much easier IMO than trying to work
behind the dash, especially if you have an earlier car with screw terminals
on the ammeter.

Randall