RE: TR3A screw sizes

To: "James Ruffner" <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A screw sizes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:45:21 -0700
> Almost all threading in the TR-3s is SAE.

The majority perhaps, but not all by any means.  Most of the flat head bolts
that hold things like the trunk and door latches are BA (British Association),
not SAE.

> The carbs are metric.

Nope, the carbs are almost entirely BA, with perhaps some BSF.

>  In a few cases the screws are
> what is called "Whitworth."  The diameters and tpi are the same

Only in some cases is the tpi the same.  Most of the "Whitworth" fasteners on a
TR3 will have thread pitches not found on a SAE thread gauge.

> If a standard SAE does not go
> smoothly into a mating component, then that mate is Whitworth.

Or is rusty/buggered.  Or is metric (there are just a very few metric threads,
but I'm not telling where they are <g>).  Or is fine thread and you have a
coarse thread.

>  The
> Whitworths seem to be in a few spots in the front suspension, such as
> the bolts that secure the upper fulcrum are for the front suspension.

Nope, those are UNF threads.

> All the engine bolts/nuts, etc. are SAE.

Except for the spark plugs, terminals on the starter/generator, carbs, carb
linkage, etc.

Randall