re: sleeved thermostat

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), tr4driver@gmail.com
Subject: re: sleeved thermostat
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:30:09 +0000
In answer to your question, the old-style bellows thermostat DOES react much
faster than the new wax-capsule type.

If you old thermostat did not block the bypass, then a significant of hot
coolant always was feeding straight back to the engine.

So, you ought to notice a much more abrupt drop in temperature with the sleeved
bellows type of thermostat.

I am currently using a sleeved new type thermostat and it seems to work fine.
I like to think that the extra flow allowed by the loss of the huge bellows
will enhance cooling by allowing better flow int he radiator.  I have not had
any problems with the cooling at all.

I did find that on my car the 165 degree point is at 1/2 of the full sweep of
the needle, and 185 is 2/3 or 3/4 of full sweep.  about 212 is at the top of
the sweep.

So, if you were getting between 1/2 and 23, your temp was probalby between 165
and 185.  A very acceptable range no matter which thermostat you were using.

-Tony