RE: a disturbing occurence that needs a solution

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: a disturbing occurence that needs a solution
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:04:19 -0700
> Has anyone ever removed the rubber hoses and replaced them with
> fittings and
> more steel? I'd like to do this to avert any chance of this
> happening again.
> What say ye? A good idea?

Earlier Triumphs did have all steel to the tank ... I suspect there was a
valid reason for changing this, especially since most modern cars seem to
also have a length of flexible line connecting to the tank.  And I can't
imagine that the rubber line saved the factory any money.

My suggestion would be to just add replacing that line to the 10
year/100,000 mile service (along with all the soft fuel lines under the
hood).  Or, better yet, inspect it at each chassis lube along with the
U-joints, axle gaiters, diff mounts, etc.  SCTOA (my local Triumph club)
hosts an event every spring where people can have the underside of their
Triumph inspected  (by club "experts") for such things, for a very nominal
charge.  You might check with your local club, or better yet, help organize
a similar event.

Randall