Re: Carpets for TR4A

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carpets for TR4A
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:32:54 -0600
Don Malling wrote:

> Again, this does not exactly answer the question but FWIW my TR250
> came w/o carpets of any kind on the floors. There was only a rubber
> mat secured with snaps high up on the firewall and another set close
> to the seats. The transmission hump and the rest of the car had what
> appears to be wilton wool black cut pile. Original owner.

FWIW that is a great setup for a daily driver too -- if like me you
sometimes spill coffee, or drive through a rain storm, or have a kid
spill gatorade all over the back floor, or return from the pool to find
one of the kids brought a little bit of the swimming pool with them. I
got my TR4 with wall-to-wall carpet, as it were, but now I just run
rubber mats in the front and little aftermarket carpets with a rubber
base in the back. Something gets wet, I just pull the mats out, dry the
floor with a rag, and put the mats back in when they're dry. I don't
have much soundproofing as a result, but I hope my floorboards will
thank me in ten years.

PS my carpet is coffee colored, but I can't blame TRF -- I spilled a lot
of coffee on that dark grey carpet over several years of commuting.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2