Carpets for TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carpets for TR4A
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:01:02 -0700
Listers,

A question regarding carpets for a TR4A.

One of the deficiencies that I find in Bill Piggott's "Original TR4-6" book is
the sparse info provided on carpet for these models.  The only thing he really
says about TR4A carpet is that Triumph brochures claimed that this model
featured "deep pile carpet throughout" but he also opines that "there may have
been some poetic license here."  He doesn't really say much about TR6 carpet,
either.  The photos in the book aren't much help regarding carpet.

In perusing the carpet offerings from TRF and Moss, I notice that they provide
different information about the appropriate TR4A carpet.  The TRF catalogs
continue to hammer home, in Charles' inimitable way, that upon the
introduction of the TR4A, Triumph began using "luxurious" Wilton cut-pile wool
carpet, whilst the TR4 model had used a rayon-based loop carpet. So it seems
that according to TRF, the TR4A should have cut-pile wool carpet.  But then
according to Moss, their "loop pile" carpet is "close in appearance" to the
original TR4/4A carpet.  The final confusion for me is an article by one Mark
Macy that I found in the Miami Valley Triumphs site:

http://www.miamivalleytriumphs.org/techdocs/original_colors_and_triumph_inte.
html

Reading between the lines, this informative article seems to poke a hole in
Charles' carpet claims with regard to what is appropriate carpet material in a
TR, and considers the carpet claims TRF makes as just marketing bluster.

So, I appeal to the list for clarity. First, what is really appropriate carpet
in a TR4A, loop or cut pile?  I have been a satisfied customer of both TRF and
Moss for years, but I would like to get the right carpet. I'd appreciate any
experience, positive or negative, that listers have had with these carpet
sets. Frankly, if either is appropriate, I'd probably go synthetic loop...

TIA,

Chris