Sleeved TR4 Thermostat

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sleeved TR4 Thermostat
From: Kurtis Jones <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:18:49 -0500
Greetings everyone...

I bought a sleeved thermostat from Moss a little over a year ago.  It
sat on the shelf in my basement until this weekend when I decided to
install it to see if it would help my high speed temperature
situation.  My car has never actually overheated, but is does run
around 2/3 the way to the high point on the gauge while driving on the
interstate at 70 mph during the summer (air temperature at 95-100F).
It will drop down to a little past the 1/2 point (on the high side) if
I slow to around 55-60 mph, and during normal in-town driving it hangs
around just above the 1/2 point (near the top of the "normal" range on
my Celsius gauge).  The original fan has been removed, and I have a
pusher fan installed.  I never really noticed any drastic changes in
the readings with the old thermostat.  Once it reached a high reading
on the interstate, it would take several minutes to drop down after I
slowed.

After driving around town with the new thermostat, I've noticed a
couple of things.  First of all, the car seems to run cooler.  Also, I
get a noticeable drop in temperature whenever the thermostat opens up
(especially the first time).  Anyone know if this is normal or
typical?  Could it be that the old thermostat was opening more
gradually?  Or would the bypass flow have somehow helped stabilize the
coolant temperature at the sensor once the thermostat opened?

I haven't had a chance to test it at highway speeds yet to see if
there is a decrease in operating temperature, but will report back
once I've had that opportunity.

--
Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas