Re: suspension problem

To: Alan Salvatore <6parts@charter.net>
Subject: Re: suspension problem
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:21:18 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

There's only one way to "do the right thing" here... you need to get the
car on a frame machine with all the data points in the Bentley (or factory
manual) and see what's up.

I never-ever-ever try to solve a situation like what you have by adding
spacers and other tweaks 'till I am 100% sure that the frame is straight
and square. Otherwise all you are doing is masking whatever the problem
is.

I also list the "it doesn't look right" observation in my pet peeves. I
have a buddy with a Spitfire that tries to level the car out with a ruler
instead of checking the corner weights. You guessed it, the car is a "real
handful" to drive.

So, make sure the frame is straight and square and then go from there.
Also note that the suspension components will take a "set" after time. The
only "fix" is to replace the bad components... in your case probably the
springs are sagged. This is not an indictment, only an observation that
the springs are probably screwed up (for whatever reason).

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |