u-joint brands & drive shaft balance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: u-joint brands & drive shaft balance
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:53:58 EST
Got the TR4 drive shaft back today. Balancer welded two 'quarter sized' round
washers to the shaft. One on the front cast 'sliding part' and one on the
'rear tube' area by the yoke. He said it was very slightly bent too so needed a
slight adjustment in that regard.
It looked fine to me prior - so I'm glad I brought it in.
We'll see if I notice 'extra smoothness' - a few years from now - when it's
back on the road.
Cost $50.00. I provided u-joints (1 Spicer and one marked USA all over the
parts that he approved), and in stripped and cleaned condition. He installed
new
joints, straightened, balanced, lubed, and painted it.
Ps; FYI: he said he didn't like GMB u-joints (take grease poorly ie; one seal
will emit, but grease won't get to other caps for some reason and that the
'cross' can walk between the caps setting up vibrational issues down the road).
He said the u-joints in Spicer boxes may not be Spicers (certainly mine was
marked GKN). He said real Spicers retail for about $50.00 each. He uses 1300
Series Neapco brand u-joints in his shop (charges $20 ea.) and said they are as
good as GKNs.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74