Re: What happens if I don't use a lead additive?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What happens if I don't use a lead additive?
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:26:46 -0500 reply-type=response
> I  was informed by the previous owner that I should add a lead additive to
>> the fuel. How importnant is this and what happens if it is not added? Are
>> there long term effects? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Cameron
--------------------------------

Cameron, the effect of unleaded on old engines is quite real.  Admittedly,
while not a TR,  I had to pull the head on my Datsun 2000 roadster last year
due to a recessed valve seat (#4 cylinder).  Thing was, I was pretty
consistent at using Lead Substitute (Gunk, I think), and kept the valves
adjusted until #4 just wouldn't anymore.  Ruined the seats anyway.  Randall
is right (wait a minute, has anyone ever said THAT before????).  I'd run it
and if it causes problems, fix it then.

I do find, however, that if you drive fast enough, you leave your problems
behind before you notice them, and they can't catch up.  I do this
especially to get to the gas station before I run out of gas.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  TS 58667 (Body still off, rest mostly back on.  Still waiting the
body guy.)
New Hampshire