RE: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:37:00 -0700
> The most interesting thing to me is that NTN/BPNW or whomever recommends
> no preload yet Kai and others have found that the NTN bearing squeals
> w/o the preload. That should tell us something.

I'll say this one more time, and then I'll shut up, I promise.

What NTN said (and BPNW repeated) was that the bearing does not require a
pre-load.  That's true, as far as the bearing itself is concerned (which is
all that NTN supplies).  It doesn't mean that a preload will shorten the
bearing's life, just that one is not required.  Thus, the KISS principle
says the bearing should not be preloaded, unless the application requires it
for some other reason.

However, in this application, the preload must be either increased (remember
that the stock TR6 arrangement used a small amount of preload) or eliminated
entirely (thereby disabling the automatic adjustment).  This is not to
preserve the bearing (and hence is outside of NTN's domain), but to
eliminate wear and squealing from the bearing dragging on the pressure plate
fingers and not turning.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: