Sticking Starter Pinion?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticking Starter Pinion?
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:15:54 EDT
Greetings from the garage,

After suffering the disintegration of my starter coming back from TRA (the
end cap unscrewed and bits shot around and through the bellhousing), I rebuilt
the unit with parts from a beat-up starter purchased through E-bay.  You  can
be sure there is now a cotter pin installed through the end of the armature
shaft.  Let us pray...

My problem is that, when I operate the starter, it turns the flywheel until
the engine catches, then I get a horrific grinding noise from the starter. I
believe the pinion is stuck against the flywheel rather than releasing after
the  motor starts.

The replacement pinion gear I acquired is nonstandard, but it would seem ok
to use.  The gear teeth run the length of the replacement pinion, rather  than
halfway as with the stock pinion.

What should I be looking for to unstick the pinion gear?  The parts  are
clean and dry, and they seem to move easily on the armature shaft.   Clues?

Pix of the starter parts and pinion gears can be seen at:
_http://www.cardomain.com/id/motopsyche_
(http://www.cardomain.com/id/motopsyche) .   You'll
readily notice the worn teeth from the damaged pinion gear.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Stagg
1961 TR3A