thermostat specifications

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: thermostat specifications
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:51:21 -0400
I am in the process of changing my thermostat.  My TR4A temp gauge was reading
3/4 with a new sender and a new non-skirted thermostat.  It turns out that the
'stat installed in the engine was a 180 degree unit.  So, maybe 3/4 reading is
normal for 180 degrees.  I installed my old original sender and dot about 1/3
on the dial with the same sender.

My original thermostat was a 165 degree skirted bellows unit.  the ROM
specifies a thermostat which begins opening at 158 and is fully open at 180.
So, does this correspond to a modern 165 degree unit or a modern 180?  I was
unable to find the complete data on any thermostats on the net....

-Tony