RE: thermostat specifications

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thermostat specifications
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:05:22 -0700
> My original thermostat was a 165 degree skirted bellows unit.  the ROM
> specifies a thermostat which begins opening at 158 and is fully
> open at 180.
> So, does this correspond to a modern 165 degree unit or a modern
> 180?  I was
> unable to find the complete data on any thermostats on the net....

Neither, really, modern wax pellet thermostats open much quicker (over a
smaller temperature range) than the old aneroid ones did.

I've talked before about the pitfalls in looking at shop manuals to
determine what parts should be on your car ... here is another example.
According to the TR4A factory Spare Parts Catalog, the 4A used a non-sleeved
thermostat, P/N 140970.  I don't have specs for that one, but I do have a
factory supercession list that shows P/N GTS111 as a replacement, which is
an ordinary, non-sleeved, 180F (82C) thermostat.

Randall