Re: Alternative wheel studs.

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternative wheel studs.
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
--- "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net> wrote:

> When converting my TR front hubs to a Ford 4 1/2 X 5 inch bold pattern
> my machinist used 1/2" X 2" allen set screws for wheel studs.  The holes
> in the hubs were threaded and then the allen screw is threaded through
> the hole far enough to allow a jam nut on the rear of the hub.  I also
> used red locktite on the installation.  The set screws are grade 8 so
> there is no compromise in strength.
> --

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback (and the expected flack!) both
public and private.  This message does illustrate another direction to explore
(converting to a 5 bolt pattern), but I want to complete this investigation
first.  Joe, I did notice on the Jegs website that they do offer a 7/16" stud
with a slightly larger base if you continue to have looseness issues with the
ones you have.  Please keep me updated :)

To clear up one point that seemed to bother a few people from my original post
- when I said cheap wheels, I only meant in reference to the costs of
Panasports and their copies - I have no issue with Panasports (plan on getting
some for my wife's Stag), but I'm looking for something a little different for
my TR4A.

Thanks again, and please continue with your comments,

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"
'73 Stag 4.3L, Auto, A/C, etc "Molly"