Richmond VTR 2004 MY views (warning; Very long story)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Richmond VTR 2004 MY views (warning; Very long story)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:07:15 -0400
Story written for the Georgia Tiumph newletter:

Richmond VTR 2004

It's not often one attends an event that unfolds so seamlessly that you
have to look around to find committee members working. This was the case
at the VTR2004 National Convention hosted and held in Richmond Virginia.
Every aspect of the event was carefully thought out and planned. Their
preparedness became evident from the moment you stepped up to the
registration table where a smiling representative, offering a cold drink
and a plate of cookies, greeted you.

Usually when one looks back on an event there are only a few details
that are stimulated by memory; however in this case there is long list
of great details I could expand on. However, I will only mention a few.
We were offered the convenience of parking our cars on the lower level
of the parking garage, which was reserved only for Triumphs. This
provided us with shelter from the heat and the occasional shower. At
night, when all the cars were parked together it was a beautiful site to
behold. Security patrolled the parking deck each night.

Richmond is a city of great historical significance, embedded with the
history of men who helped to shape our Great Country, men like Lee,
Jackson, and Benjamin Harrison, a signer of the Declaration of
Independence. As you drive down Monument Boulevard and see these
beautiful tributes to the hero's of yesteryear, you feel the majesty of
their greatness. At every turn and each stretch of open road you will
find a piece of history; each tour was planned to offer a glimpse of the
past. The James River tour took you to and past several Battlefields,
fields that were at one time stained by the bloodshed of brothers who
once fought each other for the freedom of others. Nestled on the shore
of the James River is the Berkeley Plantation, a seventeenth century
Mansion that was once the home to our 17th and 23rd Presidents Benjamin
and William Henry Harrison. The tour allowed us to walk the grounds and
view the inside of this Presidential residence. It is believed that
George and Martha Washington were frequent guests to the home.

For many Triumph enthusiasts the autocross is the most anticipated event
of the convention. These participants were treated to a very
competitive, skill-demanding course. Even the very best and accomplished
drivers were well tested on the tight course design. From the staging
area to the starting grid all aspects were well controlled. The Richmond
area SCCA club provided the equipment. The equipment was well maintained
and the large timing display offered the spectators a first hand view of
the scores in real time. Safety for both the driver and the observer was
integrated in to the overall design. The venue for the event was Shiners
Temple; the amenities offered restroom facilities and a good selection
of food and beverages. Fellow GTA member Ashford Little and I
participated in the event. For Ashford this was his first experience
participating in such an event. Ashford did very well handling the
course; each heat was a significant improvement in his time. I too ran
the course and entertained the field with a display of wheel and tire
tuck, a result of having swing axels in the Sports six.

For those who have never attend a VTR event, one of the most
entertaining moments of the convention is the auction. Here one has the
opportunity to bid on many one of a kinds and highly desired item. This
year's entertainment was provided by the comedy and whit of the
professional auctioneer conducting the auction. His whit and sarcasm
kept the audience and the room full of laughter. The vendors in
attendance donated many of the items provided for auction.  Moss Motors,
Rimmer Brothers, TSI , and the Roadster Factory, which set up their
candy store, were in attendance and were available for questions and
ready to take your order. Each vendor provided special discounts to
their normal pricing during the event.

I had been told that there are only three WWII British Spitfires flying
in the United States. During the Concourse and Participants choice Car
Show one of these magnificent airplanes was the backdrop for the event.
The event planners had arranged for this and a couple of other vintage
war birds to fly in for the event. TheWarbirds literally flew in and
taxied on a selected area among the vintage cars during the show. If you
were a Triumph Spitfire owner, this was an opportunity of a lifetime to
participate in a group photo with this perfectly restored aircraft. What
a sight!

The Virginia Museum of Aviation was the stage for the event. The
centerpiece to the Museum's display is a retired SR71 Blackbird. If you
were lucky, your class may have been parked under this Black Beauty for
which its wings offered shade on a bright and sunny day. There were so
many immaculate Triumphs, as you gazed across the show field one was
treated to a burst of brilliance, as the sun's reflection danced from
each car's perfectly polished chrome and reflective finish. I would have
hated to be a Judge for this event. How do you Judge and compare
perfection to perfection? The judges were thorough and well versed in
their area of expertise.  For the passer by this must have been a
spectacular sight to behold, all the vintage cars surrounded by the
incredible vintage war birds.

One highlight I must share has to do with one of these
aircraft and its pilots. Included in the Vintage aircraft was a United
States T6 trainer; however this aircraft was not a part of the display
and was parked on the taxiway to the left and behind the Museum
Building, but very much visible. This pilot was accompanying his friends
to the fly in; from what I was told he was not an invited guest or part
of the event planning. Growing up, we all have our hero's and bigger
than life legends that we choose to immortalize. I have mine; you have
yours. Fortunately for us the Triumph World had afforded us a few of
these legends, some we may have a common bond to. Many of these men we
have stored to memory their image and we remember the way they look from
a moment that history captured their successes.

During the car show and throughout the morning there was an older
gentleman seen leaning on the fence near the Museums building. He stood
there just admiring the cars like most of the spectators who attended.
However for him it may have been different, for he knew these cars well
probably better than most. For him, there was a special bond, something
you and I will never have the chance to experience, only dream. A friend
came to me and pointed him out; he asked me if I recognized whom he was.
I looked long and tried to figure out where and if I knew him; although
he looked so familiar. I felt as if I should know him but to no avail
could I name him. Then my friend held up both hands revealing four
fingers on each hand. I turned to look again, could it be?  Sure enough
it was he, the legend of 44. I was stunned, the man so many of us have
admired was here walking around and unnoticed by the masses. I decide I
would approach him, take the opportunity to spend a few moments with
him. I introduced my self and mentioned to him that I had called him
(Two years ago I contacted and spoke to Mr. Bob Tullius and invited him
to participate in the southeastern regional however he declined.) before
I finished my statement he said" Jekyll Island you called concerning the
regional I remember now". We talked for a few minutes and we had a photo
taken together, he autographed my event badge and program cover.  What a
memory.

The irony is, from what I had been told; was that he did not know this
was a Triumph National Convention he was only flying with a few of his
friends. Maybe that's why his T6 was sitting by itself. As the judging
finished and car shows end grew near, word spread to only a few, and
those lucky few had the opportunity to spend a few moments with Mr.
Tullius. Soon the pilots mounted their planes and began taxing away.
Like wild fire the word spread as to whom the pilot was sitting in that
bright yellow T6 trainer, the one sitting away from all the others.
Within a matter of minutes the fence line was filed with admires, many
contemplating the missed opportunity. Standing there, with their fingers
clinging to the fence they watched and felt the eleven thousand pounds
of thrust carry their legend away.

For some the worst part of an event like this can be the awards banquet,
often the food is mediocre and the banquet rambles on, as do the guest
speakers. The banquet faculty had been closed to view for most. When the
doors were opened the hall and been decorated superbly, lining the walls
of the hall were the banners of all the clubs in attendance.
Unfortunately the GTA's Banner was not located in time to take to the
convention. I was amazed how quickly the servers orchestrated, and
without confusion the serving of our meals. My meal was delightfully
prepared and served surprisingly hot.

The keynote speaker for the banquet was Triumph Historian and editor of
the Triumph Magazine, Mr. Mike Cook. Mike had a long and colorful
history with the Standard Triumph Company; He was once director of
marketing for the United States. Using humor and a skillful blending of
his personal photographs Mike shared the highs and lows of his career
with Triumph, he also provided us with the insight to many of the
decisions made corporately that led to the final demise of the Triumph
Badge. Many myths and questions were answered through his presentation.

Representing the Georgia Triumph Association at the convention were club
members Ashford Little, Mark Pruitt, Jim Davis, Kevin Dempsey and
Myself. In addition to these members were Thom Phillips and our adopted
member Al Salvatore.

During the event a few repairs had to be made to cars owned by Mark
Pruitt and My self. Marks TR6 developed a severe oil leak due to a valve
cover seal, which a new seal was obtained and the repair was performed.
After participating the autocross my Sports6 developed an unusual noise
from the timing chain area. It was later diagnosed as repaired through
out the night finishing the repairs at 3:30 am. Bolts' retaining the Cam
timing Sprocket had backed out and was spinning against the timing chain
cover. As the engine revved it allowed the sprocket to move forward
causing the bolt heads to tap against the cover. This compound noise
made it difficult to diagnose even to some of the best mechanic's at the
convention.

For me this was one the most memorable events I have ever attended,
having been able to have both of my cars their was special. Meeting new
friends and putting faces to the friends I have communicated with via
the Internet was a real pleasure. Being able to share the time with our
own club members is everlasting.

Ronnie Babbitt