RE: Speaking of ignition switches...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speaking of ignition switches...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:09:26 -0700
> I didn't have time to try to diagnose the problem this morning.  I'll play
> around with it this evening, but in the meantime, does anyone know of any
> possible cause other than a faulty ignition switch?

Faulty solenoid (eg broken return spring or welded contacts); short in wire
from switch to solenoid, short across solenoid (don't laugh, it happened to
me once).

But IMO the switch is the most likely culprit.

I would start by pulling the side wire off the solenoid and reconnecting the
battery.  If the engine still cranks, it's either the solenoid or a short
right at the solenoid.  If it doesn't, connect a test lamp from the wire you
pulled off (which should be white/red) to ground.  It should light, if not
your gremlin has gone back into hiding.  Then pull the white/red wire off
the switch and see if the lamp goes out.  If so, time to replace the switch.

Randall