Re: Speaking of ignition switches...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of ignition switches...
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:35:36 -0500
Okay... I've determined that the ignition switch is fine and the problem is
indeed the solenoid.  Now I'm putting my electrical dunce hat back on...

As some of you may recall, I installed a modern gear reduction type starter
a couple of month ago.  I added a bypass wire to the internal/integrated
solenoid on that unit and continued to use the cars original solenoid.
Randall, I seem to (vaguely) recall a comment you made regarding the
suitability of the original solenoid for this task (or did I dream that?).
Anyway... is it possible to just eliminate the old TR4 solenoid and utilize
the integrated solenoid on the new starter?

BTW... Steven suggested that I add some sort of web controlled robot in my
garage in conjunction with my TR4Cam.  The idea being that I could just let
you guys fix my car at your leisure whenever something breaks.  It sounds
like a good plan to me. :)

As always...

TIA

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4
CT19389L
www.geocities.com/tr4_1963

> > I didn't have time to try to diagnose the problem this morning.  I'll
play
> > around with it this evening, but in the meantime, does anyone know of
any
> > possible cause other than a faulty ignition switch?
>
> I would start by pulling the side wire off the solenoid and reconnecting
the
> battery.  If the engine still cranks, it's either the solenoid or a short
> right at the solenoid.  If it doesn't, connect a test lamp from the wire
you
> pulled off (which should be white/red) to ground.  It should light, if not
> your gremlin has gone back into hiding.  Then pull the white/red wire off
> the switch and see if the lamp goes out.  If so, time to replace the
switch.