Re: TR4A IRS clunk

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List)
Subject: Re: TR4A IRS clunk
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:50:00 +0000
Yes.  I had that one before, too.  It was very hard to find because when I
jacked the car on the frame the suspension went to the lowest possible position
and the lever arm was the restraint against further motion, so the spring force
was twisting the shock and making it feel perfectly tight.  I ended up jacking
the car on the trailing arm , and only then could I find the slightly loose
bolts.

The symptoms at that time were an episodic clunk that was noticed only at low
speed with slight shifts in the suspension.  I suppose the clunk merged in with
the other noises at higher speeds.   My current clunk is regular and repetetive
with the proper circumstances (deceleration and light braking).  The current
clunk can also be felt in the seat of the pants, where the shock's clunk was
only audible.

Oh, by the way, as far as I know the splines on my wire wheels and hubs are
fine....  I will be checking the shock unit's mounting bolts.

-Tony