RE: Bleeding brakes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeding brakes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:58:21 -0700
> Does anyone know how to make up a pressure bleeder.

There are several ways, probably the easiest is to get a spare MC cap, and
drill it for a tire stem.  Connect a low pressure source of clean, dry air
to it, like a spare tire or an air tank with only 10-30 psi in it and go to
it.

> I hate bleeding, it inevitably drives me nuts.

Since converting to DOT 5, I bleed so rarely that I've never bothered to rig
up a power bleeder.  Having my daughter pump the pedal works just fine.

> By the way I would assume that the original brake lines were galv steel.

They were made by a special process, and tin-plated rather than galvanized
(which is zinc).  It's called Bundy tubing and is still available in 25ft
rolls at some places.  Aircraft Spruce and JC Whitney are two in the US
(Sorry, I've no idea where in NZ).  You should definitely only use tubing
designed for brake service, as the pressures can exceed 1000 psi and the
repeated cycling can cause other forms of tubing to eventually fail.  Here's
a decent article on brake plumbing (although it's oriented towards racers).
http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html

> What grade brake fluid should we use.

Lots of debate over that point ... I am a firm believer in DOT 5 for
everything but racing.  If you don't use DOT 5, I would recommend Castrol
LMA (which is DOT 4).  Some British brake rubber components are not
compatible with other brands of brake fluid.

> Is there one that is not harmful to paint?

DOT 5 absolutely will not harm paint.  However, it can make it difficult to
repaint ... it's hard to remove all traces of the silicone from the surface
and any trace left behind will cause "fish eyes" in the new paint job.
There is a special solvent to remove the silicone.

All other grades (including DOT 5.1) will ruin paint.

> Both me and the car would have to be in an air tight container so
> the car did not rust.

You would have to be in separate containers, otherwise your decay would
prompt the car's decay.  After all, over 50% of your body is water.

> The only negative point of being buried with the TR would be that
> it would be
> selfish on my part to consign Basil to a hole 6 feet under after
> giving me a
> lifetime of enjoyment.

Does seem like a crappy way to treat an old friend !

Of course, in my case, there's a good chance my TR3A will die with me (when
some d*mn SUV driver finally manages to drive over us, after spilling his
latte while talking on the phone and shaving).  Being buried in it will save
someone the trouble of separating us !

Randall
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to office" - Aesop