RE: TR3A Windshield Wiper Motor Disassembled

Subject: RE: TR3A Windshield Wiper Motor Disassembled
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:00:10 -0700
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> The shop method for cleaning an armature is to mount it in a small
> lathe.  Then turn the armature down until just removing the wear and
> runout.  Then undercutting the mica between the armature blades.  A less
> correct method may be to sand the armature with emory cloth straping it
> like a shoe shine to try and keep it round.

Just to be clear, Tom means commutator, not armature.  And turning a
commutator is normally only done when it's significantly worn.  Since wiper
motors rarely get that kind of wear, I'd suggest just cleaning it up a bit
with a pencil eraser.  Emory will leave a rough surface that will wear the
brushes (and commutator) faster.

> >Question 2:  Does anybody have a favorite way of cleaning armatures that
> have
> been nested in by wasps?  Or is standard electrical contact cleaner
> about the best option.<

For the rest of the armature, just brush the worst of the dirt off and leave
it alone.  Those old wires were probably insulated with actual lacquer,
which may be softened by solvents.

Randall