Re: steering rack-TR3

To: <dgriffin@griffedi.com>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering rack-TR3
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 09:11:03 -0500
Hi Donnie,
I have installed the British Auto  Restorations Rack and Pinion and am very
happy with it. Actually I think I promised everyone a review on it with
pictures on my website but I have not done it yet!  Paul Willoughby also has
one and can speak to ease of fitment.  He has not completed his 5.0 Liter V8
conversion yet so I don't think he has driven it yet!

The Rack is a bolt on kit that requires removal of the mechanical engine fan
and obviously the existing steering.  You need to take off the front cowl,
radiator and so forth to get it done.  I did mine while the wife and kids
were in Florida - no biggy as my bolts came off OK.

The kit contains a rack (Cooper?) two new rack brackets,  some steering
shaft components, and a thermostatically controlled fan from Flexolite.  The
only problem I had was when I mounted the electric fan - because I was not
careful enough and holed the radiator.  I learned my lesson because I did
not find out until the whole front end was back on the car.  Moral - TEST
FOR LEAKS before you put the cowl back on.

You need to know that your indicator will either need to be dash mounted
(switch) or some other self canceling method as you loose the wires.  BAR
sells switches and self canceling MG alternatives - or some folks fit TR4
columns.  The horn still runs through the hollow shaft and a loop of very
flexible test wire is made at the end.  The wire then winds up on the
column.  Not elegant but it works. I had trouble earthing the horn button
and ended up soldering a wire between the button and the earth as the spring
inside was not earthing it properly. I have a 15" MotoLita wheel on it and I
love the way the car performs with it.  I'm getting ready to add a front
sway bar as we speak.  I'll take lots of pictures and put that mod up ....
eventually!

Here's Ted's info: 4002 Brandon Ave SW Roanoke, VA 24018-1446 Phone: (540)
989-5121