wiper wheelbox assembly

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiper wheelbox assembly
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:12:12 -0400
Hello, everyone.

In my TR3A ground-up, have turned my attention to the wiper motor and wheelbox
assembly.  Assembly first for now.  The pivot spindle in the wheelbox assembly
is good and turns freely.  I would prefer to disassemble it from the housing,
but it appears to be gnurled in, so okay, I can clean up around it, and will
coat it inside with some kind of lubricant that is a compromise between
thickness and whatever I can get it the tight clearance.  ...But...there is a
rubber seal around the top cap of the spindle that I'm presuming keeps rain
out.  This is 45 year old rubber is lunched.

1)  Any thoughts on whether stretching o-rings over the cap would work, or do
I really need to try to beat the spindle out of the housing (in which case the
exact rubber replacement is not available in Moss anyway).

2)  Wiper arm push on mounts are cheap enough.  Is there a reason to rechrome
rather than buy new?  This will be a daily driver.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body still off, rest mucho back on)
New Hampshire