RE: pertronix ignitor ignition

To: <spamiam@comcast.net>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: pertronix ignitor ignition
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:13:35 -0400
I've run my Pertronix unit now for 5 years and well over 10k miles with
no problems whatsoever. I know of at least 5 other people locally in
cars as diverse as a '69 SS396 to a '64 318 in a Sport Fury who have had
no problems either, and all have thousands of trouble free miles. I have
heard that the very early units were of inferior quality, but it has
obviously improved. One of the reasons I switched is the lousy quality
of the point sets available for the TR6. The last few sets I've
installed are a bear to adjust properly.
I have also run the TRF "Magic Clutch" with Koyo TO bearing and Sachs
pressure plate for over 10K miles and it still works smoothly and
quietly. It is vastly superior to the original units as well as the Borg
& Beck and LUK products available now. So I don't think it's fair to say
either product is poor just because some have had problems. Most of us
don't and that's why both products (especially Pertronix) sell very
well.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Well, I just read another report here on the list of yet another
pertronix ignition unit failing.  That is FOUR that I know of right off
the top of my head.  It seems that these units are a little delicate.
We do not hear of points failing so severely that a tow is required this
often! So, what is the problem with the pertronix units?  Maybe there is
no problem, and we are seeing a lot of failures because there are just
so many of these things in use.  However, maybe there is something that
we are doing to them that makes them fail.  Maybe it gets roasted if we
leave the ignition on too long without the engine running.  Maybe the
sport coils that some of us use are drawing too much current and cook
the pertronix.  BUT, in the failures I have seen or heard about, there
was no clear user-induced damage that was obvious. So, maybe we should
avoid the pertronix units? -Tony