trans swap

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> i565togs002074
Subject: trans swap
From: "January Williams" <january@chemeketa.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:55:15 -0700
Getting the rebuilt OD tranny into my 4A was difficult as I expected. I
attempted to use long 4b studs to help guide it in, then hacksawed them down
to 3b,  but they were too long - wouldnbt allow the rotation room necessary
to get it in. By the time the rear output flange sneaks past the propeller
shaft tunnel, therebs only a couple inches or so between the engine backplate
and the bell housing. It was quite a chore to get past all the interferences.
Once it was down in the hole, I was able to install the long studs to aid in
getting the final mate to the clutch and into the flywheel spigot. Then once it
was in, it was pretty hard to get the rear mounting bit in place, had to jack
the engine way up. Thanks to my buddy Mark who was underneath on the dirty side.

I didn't want to take the turnaround time to send the TOB sleeve back to Moss
for a correct one with the pin stop in it. Rolled pins I got for the TOB sleeve
were too small and too big, but I found an old needle from a lawnmower engine
that was just the right size. I looked through the catalogs and several manuals
- I don't see any pix or references to the pin in the sleeve, even in the
"official" stanpart manual. I'm just glad I saw it in Nelson's docs at the
buckeye site.

It's all in and fastened. Just the interior to reinstall tomorrow, tunnel,
carpet, seats.

cheers,

January
66 TR4A CTC74217LO