Heater Core

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Heater Core
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:53:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i5MCs3OJ028742
Message text written by "Terry Smith"
>But first, when I get the heater core back tomorrow, I wonder has anyone
had
success at clearing the passages by soaking in an acid bath or other
treatment?
<

It's worth a try.  Since the inlet and outlet are mounted at the top of the
core, loose pieces of rust that find their way in will not leave on their
own.  But if you have it out you can invert it and let gravity work for you
instead of against you.  I flushed and back flushed, shook and smacked the
core with the heal of my hand and over the better part of an hour I was
able to loosen and remove a very significant amount of iron oxide.  The
heater now delivers a nice amount of heat.  Especially since I also fixed
the fan.

Mu suggestion is to take it out back, wearing a swimsuit or something else
you don't mind getting wet in, and using a hose try to force water one way
and then the other.  Turn it upside down so that the connections are facing
down and shake vigorously.  If you start to see stuff come out, keep it up.
 You'll probably never get everything out but you can restore a majority of
the cores capacity.

Dave Massey
57 TR3