RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *

Subject: RE: * TR3 Crapped Out Again *
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:19:34 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> 1) Will there be a package that says "Ballast Resistor", or how do I know
> what to get?

There used to be.  Today you'll probably have to ask at the counter at Pep
Boys or wherever, and they'll probably insist on knowing the make, model and
year it fits.  "1967 Dodge Dart, 225 slant six" is a good answer.

> 2) Will there be a coil with a Ballast Resistor built in perhaps?

Unlikely, unless you go somewhere that caters to LBCs.  American cars have
pretty much always had external ballasts, since they went to 12v systems in
the 50s.  And most electronic ignitions do not use them.

> 3) Can I also pick up the best plug wires I can find, or do they have
> different diameters than the dizzy?

They not only have different diameters, but quality modern wires do not work
well in the TR3 dizzy cap.  It's best to find "solid core" wires, as the
"suppression" cores tend to burn where the screws in the dizzy cap pierce
them.

I believe another alternative is to switch to a MGB dizzy cap, which uses
'modern' plug wire connectors, but I haven't tried it myself.

Randall