RE: piston & liner (update) cracked heads

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: piston & liner (update) cracked heads
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:08:16 -0600
My experience reflects what Randall says.  I had a machine shop
magnaflux 3 TR3 heads from a local collector before buying one from him.
3 for 3 with cracks all had the standard crack in the water jacket web
between #2 & 3,  one had a number of cracks the terminal one running
from the exhaust seat along the the exhaust port too far to be repaired
with new seats. The other 2 heads had cracks between exhaust and intake
seats in #3. Both were repairable with new seats. All the cracks found
with magna fluxing were undetectable with the naked eye.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet
1967 Chev C/10