Re: performance add-on (no LBC)

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: performance add-on (no LBC)
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:17:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 6:40 AM -0700 4/29/04, T. S. White wrote:
>Actually the effective speed, or point, where a wing becomes functional,
>ie. begins to apply down force, is directly proportional to it's surface
>area.  As the wing is inclined into the wind the surface area can be
>reduced to produce an equivalent force.  Thus for a Hyundai to get down
>force at any effective speed the wing should really be made of a surf
>board.

I can appreciate the aerodynamic considerations in your argument. I
think the geographic effects begin to come into play in this case.
Here in central New York the surf/snow ratio is remarkably low, which
would explain the relative dearth of surfboards affixed to Korean
sub-compacts. Perhaps our correspondents in California or Hawaii
could offer their observations.
--
Phil Barnes
Cortland, NY