Magnesium Wheels Revisited

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Magnesium Wheels Revisited
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:48:29 -0400
I saw on Ebay that there is a set of the American Racing Magnesium wheels up
for sale.

I instantly had a bunch of questions come to mind and so I'll throw them out
to the Triumph braintrust and see what comes back:

I understood that these wheels were prone to cracking.  Is that true?
Was it a design problem or something to do with the age?
(meaning any wheel is likely to incur damage with 40 years of use,  or as
the magnesium gets old it somehow becomes more brittle (or something)

Or maybe it was cause the vintage racers were using them and the just
weren't up to the stresses of modern race tires?

All opinions are welcome.

Follow up question .  .  . anyone know a metallurgist or other real
knowledgeable individual who would know a lot about old cast magnesium
wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday