Re: misfire

To: "Steve B." <StevesTR@veroquest.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: misfire
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:52:30 -0400
From: "Steve B." <StevesTR@veroquest.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 12:26 PM

> How do you go about actually testing an ignition coil without using
> special tools? I am suspicious about mine.

Steve-
    Check for continuity with a digital multi-meter set on ohms. The primary
winding is tested from the positive (+) side of the coil to the negative (-)
side of the coil. The secondary winding is tested from the positive or
negative side of the coil to the coil center. Test for shorts by going from
coil positive (+) and coil (-) to the coil case. If you get an open in any
of these tests, the coil is faulty.

Tim Hutchisen
80 TR7 Spider (225 miles today!)
71 TR6 in many pieces....