Muffler notes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Muffler notes
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:32:47 -0600
For quite some time I've been running a Supertrapp glass pack on the
Killer Spitfire.  The whole system starts with a Monza 4 into 1 header,
which is not the world's best, and had gone into a Walker TurboTube
muffler before the Supertrapp.  Both the Walker and the Supertrapp were
too loud by themselves, but in series sounded pretty good.  If you
attended the VTR conventions in Ft. Worth (97), Hudson (98), Portland, OR
or Breckenridge you may have heard the car run.  I may have had the same
setup on Junior, the red '74 at Rockford in '95, I can't remember.

Anyway, that system is getting a bit long in the tooth, as one might say, and
I'm currently looking at maybe getting a Dr. Gas Spintech muffler on the car
before the next IVR race.  Dr. Gas [ http://www.drgas.com ] is a local company
here in Utah, and I know some of the guys.  Maybe I'll get down there early
next week.  If I do get one of their Spintech Sportsman Street mufflers on
Killer, I'll let folks know how it sounds with a basically stock 1500 Spitfire
motor feeding it.

For the first race of the season, I bought a $20 generic parts store muffler.
I put it on the car, fired it up, listened for a few minutes and then took
it off.  It sounded like a generic $20 parts store muffler.  I ran with the
Supertrapp, currently a glass unpack unit, but we don't have noise limits
running our races out at Wendover.  Killer would have been too loud for an
in town autocross with no packing in the Supertrapp.

mjb.