Re: VTR Concours feedback (or lack thereof); was DPO

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VTR Concours feedback (or lack thereof); was DPO
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:23:25 -0600
Cc: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Blake Discher wrote:

<snip>

>4.  And finally, at last year's VTR, John Macartney came up with a great
>idea for a new award.  I forget what he called it, but it was given to the
>person having a car that while not necessarily concours car, showed very
>clearly that it's owner deeply cared for and DRIVES his vehicle.  Very cool.

I liked Jonmac's factory-brick award as well. To add an idea, for the
last couple years my favorite Colorado show is part of an event put on
by the British Motoring Club of Northern Colorado. Their Oil Spot
Rallye* features a contest for the best oil spot -- collected with a
large sheet of paper under each car placed in the parking lot where the
cars collect after the gimmick rally. Awards are given for largest spot
and most artistic. There have been rumors of oil being carelessly topped
off to increase leakage but it seems to be mostly on the up-and-up
though early MG's clearly have this one cornered.

They have peoples choice voting too, and even my worn daily driver has
garnered a few votes thanks to it's, um, patina. Maybe the hula girl
helps too? I haven't been to a show with a diamond in the rough award in
a while, but I always liked the idea of an award for the car that seems
least likely to make it home without breaking down.

* http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/BMCNC/ -- a bit late, scheduled
for October 2 this year.

--
Steven Newell